The American Dream—that hard work can lead one from rags to riches
The dream of a land in which life should be better and richer and fuller for everyone with opportunity for each according to ability or achievement. James Truslow, historian.
- If you put in enough effort you will be rewarded with wealth.
- The home of the free and the land of the brave.
- Gatsby worked hard but illegally. He shows the corruption of The American Dream.
- Dream- illusion due to corruption
- Valley of Aches (VOA) and wilson. these people work hard everyday, they remain poor and their lives are a struggle. These people and this setting represent the illusion of the dream. They believe in it, the strive for it but it never comes.
- Poor get poorer and rich get richer.
- Tom and Daisy have not worked at all, born into ‘The Dream’. They don’t live ‘The Dream’ lifestyle because their lives are centred around “things” and “events”.